Content Rating 4+
1 / 5
Kanji Learner's Dictionary
The CJK Dictionary Institute, Inc.
Reference, Education IOS
The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary: Revised and Expanded is the best kanji-learning tool available for electronic devices. Based on the recently-published revised edition of Jack Halpern’s world-renowned The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary, this iOS edition is an easy-to-use electronic dictionary that fully satisfies the practical needs of beginning and intermediate learners.
This up-to-date dictionary covers 3,002 kanji entry characters – 772 more than in the original edition – and covers all the characters in the recently revised Jōyō Kanji and Jinmei Kanji lists prescribed by the Japanese government. This app gives learners quick access to all the benefits of the print edition, plus additional functionality made possible by the iOS platform, including quick and intuitive interfaces for looking up kanji by SKIP or by radical, the ability to toggle between kana and romaji display for readings, various additional ways to look up kanji or compounds (eg. by on and kun readings, English meaning, or SKIP number), animated stroke-order diagrams, context-sensitive pop-ups, and much more.
No kanji dictionary on the market today offers such a full range of features in such a stunning, user-friendly interface. No stone has been left unturned to create this high-quality application of superb design.
Please note: If you currently own The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary for iOS developed by CJKI, and are running iOS 5 or higher, you can make an in-app purchase that will enable your application to access all the additional content contained in this Revised and Expanded app. First update your app to the most recent version (2.0), and then go to Settings > Add-ons in the Info menu.
* core meanings that concisely define the most dominant sense of each character, giving the learner an instant grasp of a character's fundamental meaning
* the System of Kanji Indexing by Patterns (SKIP), which enables even complete beginners to locate characters with accuracy and speed
* 3,002 main entry characters, including all the characters in the Jōyō Kanji and Jinmei Kanji lists
* approximately 46,000 senses for 35,000 words, word elements, and illustrative examples
* covers all high-frequency compounds based on frequency statistics compiled by the Agency for Cultural Affairs in 2010
* character meanings ordered in a manner that shows how each character contributes to the meanings of compound words
* animated stroke order diagrams for all 2,136 Jōyō entry characters
* 9,200 character readings, including readings used only in names
* multiple search modes including kana, romaji, SKIP, radical, English meaning, and entry number
* 1,300 homophones with core meanings explain differences between closely related characters
* a special Browser which allows uers to browse characters by SKIP number, frequency ranking, or Jōyō grade
* links allowing users to jump to corresponding entry in The Kodansha Kanji Usage Guide app, if installed
* audio for all compounds
* useful appendixes on stroke counting, pronunciation, kana, and more
* intuitive interface for quickly looking up characters by SKIP or radicals
* tapping on any character or word allows users to jump to the relevant entry
* no Internet connection required
* history and bookmarks
NOTE: For US educational institutions, this app can be purchased at a 50% discount through Apple’s Volume Purchase Program. See
for more information.
The CJK Dictionary Institute is directed by Jack Halpern, editor of the New Japanese-English Character Dictionary and The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary, now standard reference works.
Be sure to check out our other dictionary apps available for iOS (search for "cjki").
- bug fixes